Sunday, November 6, 2011

Italian-inspired Veg-ging Out

On one of my (almost) monthly visits to New York this past year, a friend and I stopped in Red Bamboo in Greenwich Village for some sustenance before I hopped on the Bolt bus back to D.C. Yet another instance of my eating companion choosing a more desirable dish than one of my choosing.

The Soul Chicken Sandwich (Panko breaded soy chicken nuggets, romaine lettuce, tomato, vegan mayo and vidalia dressing served on bread) was good but a little dry. I typically love anything with a panko crust--especially Trader Joe's Panko Crusted Tilapia--whoops but those are my pesky pescetarian tendencies and not the vegan way--but this dish did not compare to my companion's Chicken Parmesan Hero. I enjoyed his dish so much that I kept stealing from his plate.

When I got back to D.C., I had to have more. Guessing/simulating the ingredients on a venture to Whole Foods, I picked up one package of Boca soy chick'n patties, 1 bag of shredded Daiya mozzarella, and a jar of regular marinara pasta sauce. Pretty simple. After heating up a little olive oil in a pan, I added two patties and let them get softer before adding in the pasta sauce (reducing the heat so it wouldn't splatter everywhere) and finally, the Daiya. Not used to cooking with vegan cheese, I didn't realize the melting process would take a bit longer than with normal cheese.

The initial result: tasty. Who knew Boca's chick'n patties would be as delicious as their soy burgers?

Since that first attempt, I've made variations of this dish a handful of times. And I've gotten better about knowing when to add the cheese to get it nice and gooey. I've cooked it with and without noodle and shell pastas depending on my level of hunger.

Inspired by this fantastic dish at Red Bamboo, I figured I should combine veggie protein with pasta more often. So when the same friend who ordered this dish came to visit me in D.C. a couple months later, I made us both dinner. The make-up: fettucine (a nice size noodle for holding the sauce), red pasta sauce, and Veggie Patch Meatless Meatballs. Again I used Daiya mozzarella, a little basil, and crushed red pepper.

Now the tables had turned and it was my friend who ended up stealing the food from my plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment