Sunday, January 8, 2012

Continuing education

Typically I like to try out activities I write about before posting, but I just can't wait this time. Since I moved to Brooklyn, I've hit the ground running, researching all the things to do in the borough and beyond on a budget. I recently came across Dollar Fridays at Brooklyn Creative and thought, "yes! a way to continue my interest in photography without breaking the/into a bank." Brooklyn Creative, an art and photography education center, offers $1 photo classes on select Fridays. Though I minored in photography in college and am already schooled in the basics, I'm sure I could definitely use a refresher. And so, I've marked my calendar to attend the Jan. 20 Composition class from 6-8 p.m.

$1 Friday classes run two hours and cover a small range of topics in photography including a DSLR Crash Course--if I had one, I'd totally go!--(Jan.13) and one in Adobe Photoshop (Jan. 27). Maybe I'm a nerd, but this sounds like a fun, creative way of spending a Friday night--at least if you want an alternative to happy hour with time to spare should you want to do something after.

Brooklyn Creative offers a wider range of photography, printmaking and other classes for a heftier fee. Sadly, I will probably not participate in these unless I decide I need to give myself an expensive gift. But if you're less cheap than I am, I encourage taking a look at their course offerings.

Another site I've been eyeing in hopes to build my skills and have some fun in the process is the listing of classes offered at Brooklyn Brainery. Crowdsourced education for varying prices, the Brainery offers an array of course content but it seems that you have to act fast before classes fill up (of course the food ones I want to attend are all full!) They add new ones all the time, so check back. I certainly will. In the meantime, maybe I'll check out this course on Indian art and architecture.

1 comment:

  1. You might like this: http://www.brooklynartistsgym.com/programs/classes/.

    ReplyDelete