Tuesday, January 17, 2012

exercise playlists to live by

Sometimes when I'm on the cross ramp or elliptical (so, rarely), I like to imagine that my hair is blowing in the wind and that I'm in a Bollywood movie, particularly a musical scene. When this fix isn't enough, I go to actual Bollywood/bhangra classes. Well, at least I did in D.C. I fell in love with Dhoonya Dance back in college and can't wait to start classes at their locations in NY. So far, I have taken a few bhangra classes here--mainly at the New York Sports Club on W16th and 8th Ave. when I had a Groupon for a month-long membership. And lately my morning train rides have consisted of listening to past mixes I made and thinking in my head how much choreography I can remember from the past classes I've taken. It also got me thinking...what songs would I like to choreograph a dance workout to? I came up with two lists below:

Bhangra Beats
songs I'd include if I taught a bhangra class:
  1. Patola by Daljit Mattu
  2. Aaja Nachiye Boliyan Paiye by DJ Rekha and Gunjan from Basement Bhangra
  3. Hauli Hauli by Bikram Singh feat. Tigerstyle
  4. Nach Ley (New Flava Mix) by Dr. Zeus
  5. Kudi Patole Wargi by Malkit Singh
  6. Nach Baliye (Bhangra Mix) from Nach Baliye-The Music Album
  7. Bhangra Mega Mix from Judgment Day 3
  8. Mele Vich Jatt by Lehmber Hussainpuri
  9. Pe Pe Pepein by Neeraj Shridhar, Master Saleem, Hard Kaur 
  10. Romantic Jatt by Miss Pooja
Alternates: Lal Ghagra feat. E=MC by Sahara (video below), Captain Bhangra Da by Daljit Mattu, Daru Pee Ke by Romey Gill, Aankh Naal by Kam Dhillon, and Dil Tera by Soni Pabla feat. Miss Pooja

....and Bollywood hip shakers
songs I'd include if I taught a Bollywood dance class:
  • Tumse Milke Dil Ka Jo Haal by Aftab Sabri, Hasim Sabri, Sonu Nigam from Main Hoon Na

  • Laga Laga Prem Rog by Alka Yagnik and Kamaal Khan from Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya
  • Lodi by Gurdas Mann from Veer-Zaara

  • Dil Dooba by Sonu Nigam from Khakee
  • Ishq Kamina by Sonu Nigam from Shakti-The Power

  • Marjaani by Sunidhi Chauhan from Billu Barber

  • Shut Up and Bounce by Sunidhi Chauhan from Dostana 
  • Jogi Mahi by Sukhvinder Singh from Bachna Ae Haseeno
  • Aaja Nachle by Hans Raj Hans from Aaja Nachle
  • Jee Karda by Labh Janjhu from Singh is King
  • Twist by Neeraj Shridhar from Love Aaj Kaal
Alternates: O Re Kanchi by Shaan from Asoka, Fitna Dil (remix) by Udit Narayan from Shikhar, Desi Girl by Shankar Mahadevan from Dostana, Touch Me by Alisha Chinoy from Dhoom: 2, Kajra Mohabbat Wala (remix) by Sonu Nigam
    *I couldn't find YouTube videos for all these songs but if you are really curious and can't find them to download, make a note in the comments section and I'll send them to you.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment