Thursday, December 22, 2011

Handmade & inexpensive gifting options

Every year I'm less into the holiday season. The magic and wonder of possibility felt in childhood is gone; the emptiness left by people who used to be in your life  and the pressure to be so damn happy often weigh too heavily.

I don't care too much what I do around the holidays and I'm not a fan of holiday music. I usually do give gifts, however, because I like picking out things I think my friends and family would like. It's even more fun when I decide I'm going to handcraft them. In the past, I've made everything from home-made puzzles to personalized calendars to handbags made out of posterboard and magazine cutouts. With so much crafting in my past, I've run out of ideas. I must admit that I've stopped brainstorming.

This doesn't mean that I've given up completely, forever. For one, I really like the craft ideas Ruche (one of my fave clothing sites) came up with this year. I also recommend the Brooklyn Based article on Dollar Store Diamonds. As a refined connoisseur of dollar store finds since scouting the DMV area with my best friend in our high school days, I really appreciate their tips on finding inexpensive and quirky gifts that'll surely make your friends crack a smile. Scoutmob's Nifty Gifty Indie Guide also provides some nice inspiration for gifts under $50. Even if you don't want to/can't shell out that much, the pictures may spark your creative juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment