Saturday, December 10, 2011

my new (old) thing

Ok folks, the following proves I can be passionate about other topics than food.
I've long been a bit skeptical about paying much money for clothing. Forever 21, Charlotte Russe and H&M--sometimes you can find cute (sometimes professional) stuff that isn't slutty (though maybe Charlotte Russe is more of a gamble on this), but as I get older, I'm starting to realize that I want higher quality clothing. But I still don't want to pay that much.

Now that I'm in New York, my new (old thing) is to shop mostly (if not exclusively) at nicer thrift stores. Sure, their prices range from the usual $3-4 Salvation Army fare to the pricier vintage, but even the more pricey thrift stores are worth it. My range of paying more means a shirt will cost me $11 rather than $3. I have not yet shelled out serious $$$ for truly vintage pieces. Still, I've found a lot of nice, interesting things to add to my wardrobe.

Some Yelp reviews I've read complain of thrift stores such as Crossroads in Williamsburg that just sell used J. Crew and H&M clothing, but I have no qualms about such selections. I don't need vintage to fill up my closet. I can get a gently used J. Crew sweater for less than $20. And this is probably the only scenario where I would given J. Crew's prices. And since H&M's prices have gone up since I started shopping there in high school, it works for me.

On my first trip to Crossroads, I walked away with a cute orange dress, a black and cream striped shift dress, and a pair of long red knit gloves with the amount received from the clothes I brought in to sell.

On my second trip, I would've liked walk away with more but because of better self-restraint and slightly too-small options in the dresses I liked most, I just purchased one blue patterned Joy Joy flowy skirt--perfect for the extended fall we've been having.

Next on the hits list is the Goodwill in Greenwich Village on W8th St. I bought two pair of pants (one Banana Republic, the other Gap), a pink and purple scarf, and a blue plastic bangle all for $33.22. This Goodwill seems to be a good stop for work-y clothes, especially pants, which I'm reluctant to buy at full price until/if I lose weight from all this projected exercising. If I can find it again, I will definitely go back. I get easily confused around Washington Square Park.

Doggy's Clothing (N 6th St bet. Havemeyer St & Meeker Ave) in Williamsburg is awesome for finer purchases. It seems the men's clothing here is overpriced but ladies, you can find unique skirts and dresses for $25-40ish. Not bad for some styles. Weeks ago I bought a beige full skirt that seems to be made partly out of twine? It's so fun and I'm not sure I would've found anything like it if not in a thrift store.


My trip to the Salvation Army in Downtown Brooklyn wasn't as fruitful. Here the prices were lower but so was the quality. I did snag a nice blue handbag for $10--so not a complete loss but I'm not too inspired to come back anytime soon. I found the Salvation Army in Clinton Hill to be a bigger hit.

Housing Works in Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights hold some nice items too and they aren't as expensive as I assumed from the outside. The danger here isn't just in clothes but housewares, glassware, records and books. I'm tempted to go back to the Park Slope location for a set of brown tea cups and a 25 cent "Learn Basic French Phrases" record.

Last but not least on this thrifting journey is Urban Jungle in Bushwick, right off the Morgan Ave. L stop. I actually came here before moving and loved sifting through all the retro dresses, skirts and blazers. There's so much to look through, but I think the broader selection means you're bound to walk away with something. The prices are also a happy balance between Salvation Army and Doggy's Clothing fare. It's also a short walk from the ever-so-cute and cozy Brooklyn Yarn Cafe.

In future paychecks (that's right folks, I'm now gainfully employed!), I will expand my journey in thrifting. Next on my agenda is the Goodwill in Chelsea and Beacon's Closet in Park Slope and Williamsburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment