Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pocketful of Rainbows...or Veggies

I remember a dark time in my life. A time when I didn't like baba ghanouj. The truth of the matter is that I had one rotten (literally bitter) experience and shut out the Middle Eastern spread altogether. I now realize I'm a fool. I now say yes to the opportunity to have it at every turn. I now say yes to life.

I've only had four things at Eva's in Greenwich Village--two were soups and two were sandwiches. All were excellent. With each pita sandwich you get a filling of some sort--baba ghanouj, hummus, falafel, just to name a few, a mountain of salady goodness that cannot be contained in the walls of the pita, and a choice of dressing such as tahini or yogurt. The vegetable and lentil soups are both packed with vegetables, hearty enough to stand on their own but also serving as a great accompaniment to the overstuffed pitas.

I like this place. Many vegetarian options to choose from. There's lots of items on the menu with "protein" in the title. I haven't tried them yet but this spot seems to be all about healthy eating, which I appreciate when I'm looking for a quick bite that doesn't make me feel weighed down and convenient in that I can pay by debit card. It's also not too far from this place:
which reminds you what an eccentric neighborhood Greenwich Village is. Sparkly jumpsuits anyone?

2 comments:

  1. A falafel/pita place I'm a big fan of is Taim. It's tiny and has only 3 stools, but the food is awesome. I love their eggplant mixture. It's also in the West Village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely check that out next time I'm there.

      Delete