Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Twisting Your Way to Bliss, Part 2

My month long pass of unlimited classes at YogaWorks is almost up and I'm finding myself at a crossroads. Do I buy another unlimited pass like the one available on Groupon now? So far, I like YogaWorks. The majority of classes I've attended have been with instructor Sarah Bell at their Union Square location.

YogaWorks classes have a different feel from classes I've taken elsewhere in the city. The vibe is quieter and feels less judgmental. As an instructor, Sarah is laid-back but also not too hippie dippie as some instructors can be. There's no music played during the 85-minute class but neither the lack of music nor the longer class time makes me more antsy or restless than any other class. In fact, the first two times I took it, I actually felt less emotional. I can't say if this was state of mind, concentrating more intently on the poses, lack of moody music or something altogether different, but I appreciate the fact that I've been focused rather than having my mind wander and that I've remained focused without struggling too much.

I'm also not used to non-Vinyasa classes. While a little bit of flow is incorporated into Sarah's 5:45 p.m. Monday and Wednesday classes, most of the session focuses on alignment and doing what's right for you in your body on that day. The website describes the YogaWorks signature classes as focusing on alignment, Sun Salutations and postures and modifications that "individualize the practice for each student" and I have to agree that it lives up to that description.

So where does the dilemma in this situation arise then, you must be asking yourself if you made it this far down the post. The dilemma is it's hard to settle on a yoga studio. In an earlier post, I mentioned liking some of the classes at Yoga Vida, which still holds true. The vibe there isn't as chill as at YogaWorks though. There are only two teachers there so far that I enjoy taking. I'd like a studio option where I can take class any day of the week and want to be there and feel welcomed to be there. A space where no one seems in competition with anyone else.

The next studio I want to try is Brooklyn Yoga School. It's donation-based but I'm hoping the classes don't get too crowded. I'm also hoping it's better than Yoga to the People, which I have a few grievances with. Anyone ever been? Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I did enjoy Yoga Works, but thought it was too crowded. I think they should cap the class to a smaller number, so we don't end up accidentally hitting each other.

    ReplyDelete