Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Soup's Up!: Building food consciousness


I'm not usually one to follow diets. I think, why do that to yourself? Food is so good. A coworker suggested one to me that sounded pretty reasonable, however. It's called the UltraSimple Diet and you can download the companion guide here (Who wants to buy a diet book? That definitely goes against my principles). The thought behind this diet is to rid the body of toxins while still eating food. It's about eliminating common toxins, or allergens, from your diet such as gluten, dairy, alcohol and caffeine for a week.

I'm only following this loosely as I have no intention of giving up yogurt and while I know I probably should drink less coffee, I do need something to keep me awake at work. I'm not even taking the advice to take spoonfuls of lemon juice or olive oil before my first meal of the day. So why even post about it? Basically because like me, you may find some of the recipes inspiring. I'm using this as a general guide to being more conscious about what I eat and to be more observant about how certain foods make me feel.

Tonight I cooked up the hearty vegetarian lentil soup (found in "Recipes for Lunch and Dinner" in Section 5 of the companion guide) and am looking forward to slurping it down for lunch tomorrow. As a general plug for soup--it's so great--you can throw in a bunch of veggies and herbs and make all kinds of combinations sure to pique your palate. I also think soup is a great place to put your efforts in shopping at ethnic markets. You don't know what something is? Why not throw it in a pot with a bunch of other intriguing ingredients and see what magic can be made?

No comments:

Post a Comment